105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom - Meet Amanda & Nic

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Wedding Wednesday post where every Wednesday you get to find out a little more about the couples that shared their photos for the 105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom Photos post HERE or the Youtube video HERE

I will also be doing more Budget Bridal posts. You can see previous posts HERE

------------------------------------
Amanda & Nic
Portland, Oregon, USA

Where did you meet your Bride/Groom?

I met Nic through online dating. On our first date, he took me to a local dinner club that was supposed to be featuring Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin impersonators, but it ended up being a vocal coach’s class recital, doing gender bender night (singing songs made famous by someone the opposite gender as them). After all of the students finished their recital, the band offered to accompany anyone who wanted to come up and sing, which I did. It was a night neither one of us will forget. Less than a month after we were officially a couple, Nic proposed to me. We, and our families,  just knew the other person was it for us.



When did you get married and where?


We got married ten months later at a family friend’s home just outside of Portland on June 22, 2013


What was your experience of finding a dress/suit?


Finding formal dresses for me has never been easy. So when I first started looking for my wedding dress, I began by looking at businesses who make custom dresses online. I had previously had a custom-made dress made when I was a maid of honor in a friend’s wedding and was fairly happy with those results. After I searched for about a month, I found a dress that I loved and the company had seemingly good reviews, so I ordered it.

After I ordered it, I felt a gnawing feeling in my gut that wouldn't go away, telling me I needed to do more research, which I did. Come to find out after more research, the company I had ordered from had changed their company name because their reputation was previously so poor that they needed to reinvent themselves! I was luckily still within the grace time that I could cancel my order, so that is what I chose to do. Nic and I had a small budget for our wedding and I didn’t want to take a risk on such an important purchase.


So from there, my mom and I sat down and talked about what I wanted in a dress. She once made a formal dress for me before, so she understood the challenges I had with fit and my body. I found a couple different patterns of dresses I liked, figured out how to make a new pattern that incorporated the elements of each pattern, and then we asked a family friend to make the dress for me. The best part about having my dress made for me was that I was able to be actively a part of the whole process. I got to choose all the fabrics and how I wanted it to fit. I am proud of what we were able to accomplish and felt beautiful that day wearing it!



Describe your day.

Our wedding was in June in the Pacific Northwest, so we were very afraid that it was going to rain. However, on the day, it was all blue skies and in the 90’s outside! My bridesmaids carried parasols, so they were able to shade themselves, but the groomsmen were all in suits! Poor gents! All in all, it was a beautiful day. We had a small gathering of family and friends. We also had a separate reception the next day at my family’s church. All of the decorations for both were either made by us or provided by family and friends. I walked down the aisle to our song ‘At Last’ softly played on the piano, which I had sung on the night of our first date at the club. My father spoke a blessing over us that made everyone tear up and we wrote our own vows. I married my best friend and the whole day felt so full of love.



Anything else you want to add.

Embrace the bride that you are. Choosing to find joy in the person you are will honor the beautiful choice you and your future spouse are both making. It will be a gift to your spouse because you are focusing on their love for you, rather than the things you might have wished was different. Love the people who have invested in your happiness and want to share in your joy. Remember that you are lovely, worthy, and that someone loves you, for the rest of your life.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Facebook

Twitter Feed