105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom - Meet Perelandra & Nick

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Wedding Wednesday post where every Wednesday you get to find out a little more about the couples that shared their photos for the 105 Plus/Fat Bride/Groom Photos post HERE or the Youtube video HERE

I will also be doing more Budget Bridal posts. You can see previous posts HERE 

------------------------------------
Perelandra & Nick
England, UK

Where did you meet your Bride/Groom?

We met at work, I was a TV producer and he was an editor.


When did you get married and where?

Thornton Hall Wirral



What dress/suit size were you when you got married? (only answer if you want to)

Dress Size 20



What was your experience of finding a dress/suit?



Sadly buying my wedding dress was not the dreamy experience I had hoped for. Not a single wedding dress shop I visited had one sample size that fitted (I was a size 20 when I got hitched) this meant every dress I tried on including the one I eventually opted for was basically far too small and a slightly dingy piece of muslin like material was pinned at the back so I could get an "idea" of what it would look like.

I paid £1000 for my dress ten years ago at the wedding dress chain Pronuptia and as I opted for a corseted strapless number this meant that until I actually tried on my completed dress two weeks before the big day I had no idea how it would really look.
In actual fact when I first tried it on it was huge and I looked like a tank. It was as if the dressmakers just couldn't see that although my body was fat it did actually go in and out. I had to fight to get alterations made and was actually told that it would look "weird" Nice customer service eh. As I'm sure you will agree by these photos I didn't look weird, I looked nice, and as if I had a waist.

I believe things are much better in the wedding dress world now and certainly had I known then what I know now I would have gone to a few more independent retailers but it made what should have been the best dress buying experience of my life pretty miserable.


Describe your day. 


My wedding was amazing. Surrounded by friends and family, we were both quite overcome with emotion and on the wedding video you can see we are both shaking. We were (and still are) very much in love and until I had my daughter it was the best day of my life.I felt beautiful.



Anything else you want to add.


We were rather lazy about our choice of wedding photographer as working in the media as we did back then we knew our friends would take some great shots (which they did) so we booked a local photographer to record the service and do the group shots. Its ironic how a few years later my husband would become a professional photographer because we learnt some good lessons about how not to treat a bride. When we first went to meet the photographer he told me rather gleefully that he had photographed a "big girl" recently and then proceeded to show me lots of pictures of this one lady. It was as if he felt photographing a fat chick required special skills. I think in his misguided way he was trying to be nice but it made me feel that he viewed my size as a visual disability he had to overcome.Nowadays I would have thanked the man and left but even fifteen years ago fat shaming and rudeness about size and shape was part of the everyday landscape so I not only said nothing I booked him! I am in no way saying these incidents spoilt a thing because they didn't, rather they tell the story of how even in just over a decade we have come a long way and wedding service providers are slowly coming around to the notion of the plus sized pound. Hurrah!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow me on Facebook

Twitter Feed